Topcon Valve Switch Unit simplifies Caterpillar M series automation
Automating Caterpillar M series motor graders with Topcon’s 3D machine control systems – including Millimetre GPSTM – has become even easier for owners with the introduction of a special Valve Switch Unit from Topcon Positioning Systems (TPS).
TPS’s Valve Switch Unit (VSU) eliminates the need to add a hydraulic valve or connection to M Series grader’s hydraulic system through the CAN field bus, resulting in an integrated, real-time distributed control.
In addition, the VSU eliminates the need for an activation fee to be paid to Caterpillar to enable the interface between the machine control system and the grader’s operating system.
According to Brian Juroff, TPS director of construction sales, the VSU acts as an interface between the OEM controller and the Topcon controller to run a machine’s hydraulic solenoid valves.
“It’s a simple procedure to mount the new box, plug the cable into the Cat valve connectors – and that quickly, the machine is fully automated,” he said.
Juroff said that benefits of the Topcon VSU for Cat M-series graders include:
- Minimal time for simple install
- Low cost for high benefit
- No Cat activation fee required
- Works on all M series graders – Accugrade-Ready Option (ARO) and non-ARO
- Controls both 2D and 3D machines
- Weather-resistant, rugged housing
- Built-in LED indicators for visual operation and easy troubleshooting
- Operator able to manually override the VSU at any time.